Skip to main content

Autograph Hound


                                                                     Photo courtesy of the author

On Friday, my husband and I went to the Wexner Center to see the Todd Oldham exhibit (if you have the time and means, I’d highly recommend seeing it before it closes on April 15). With the café open, we decided to fuel up before embarking on the exhibit. Just as I was about to chose a table, I saw John Waters (yes, that John Waters), sitting by himself with a shopping bag from the gift shop, with two books (one of R. Crumb, not a shocker there), doing what so many people do these days – staring at his phone. I sat at the closest table and then wondered what to do. Could I approach? Should I? And say what?

I not very subtly took out my own phone and snapped a picture of him just as, what I believe was, his assistant joined him. My husband joined me, as I whispered to him about who was at our nearby table. Ultimately I decided that since I couldn’t think of anything interesting or intelligent to say at the time, my gift to him for all the years of enjoyment of his work would be to leave him in peace. There did appear to be some concern of arranging their ride to pick them up and get them to the airport before traffic got heavy, so peace was probably the best course of action. Still, I’m annoyed with myself, losing out on a potential opportunity.

I did my best to convince myself at the time that what would I do with an autograph if I’d asked for it. After all, I’ve been trying to get rid of a lot of the accumulated clutter in our house. I did post on social media an autograph of Neil Gaiman’s, along with his new book, after hearing him speak at a recent library event, but he’d pre-signed all 2,000 books. In fact, hearing that he’d gone to that much trouble, and knowing I didn’t have the book yet, was what caused me to go buy it before leaving. The few times I have waited in line at symphony events for autographs, like for Philip Glass, I was so overwhelmed all I could say was “thank you.”

Other than photographing and posting the item to social media, there really isn’t much to do with it. It’s not like adults have show and tell. And what would it prove anyway? It’s not like we’re friends.

If I’d been a little quicker and a vastly different personality I might have asked Waters, while filming him on my phone, what he thought of Grey Gardens, which my documentary theory class had recently discussed (only one female student in the class liked it, with one male student claiming he was close to walking out). I had thought of John Waters during this second viewing of the film (for me), thinking how similar to his own fictional characters these real women in that documentary were. Now I’m more annoyed with myself.

I heard he would be having an upcoming show at the Wexner, so maybe there’ll be another chance encounter.


Popular posts from this blog

Birds of a Feather

                                                                                                              Photo courtesy of the author                We have a robin problem, or rather a paranoid robin problem. For some reason the previous owners of our home placed small speakers on either side of the detached garage. If you saw how close the homes are in our neighborhood, you’d wonder if they hated their neighbors. While we never used the stereo system, we didn’t bother to remove the speakers either. About a month ago, a robin began making nests on top of each speaker. They’re slightly taller than I am, and, coupled with the end of the semester, I managed to not notice them. My husband spotted them, pointed them out to me, and stated he hoped the robin wasn’t planning on having her chicks here. I told him I wasn’t planning on moving the nests. We didn’t use the speakers anyway, and I didn’t want to piss off the bird. She did in fact lay her eggs, an

You Broke It; Now Fix It

  It seems like no matter what I search for (sweaters, shoes, kitchen items), I begin feeling like I’m being stalked later on by those products, while looking at other websites. After browsing sweaters on Talbots’ site, I suddenly see the same sweaters appear on the side of a Washington Post article about impeachment. I keep wishing some clever coder could come up with an algorithm to stalk members of the GOP with non-stop videos of “real people” suffering due to these politicians’ inaction and stupidity. My hope is that seeing what has happened to citizens in this country, through no fault of their own, would somehow open the eyes of these politicians, and shame them into doing something to help them. Our country is so utterly broken, and I feel accountability should force these politicians to have to fix what they broke. Of course, I know that is unlikely to happen. Right now Mitch McConnell thinks Biden’s economic recovery plan “missed the mark,” while Mitt

Clueless White Privilege

I should state up front that I am a white woman, and compared to many in this country I would be considered privileged. There have certainly been times in my life that I didn’t fully grasp that and said and did things that make me cringe now, wondering how I could have been so unaware, but I never had the power mixed with that cluelessness to affect the lives of so many people in such drastic ways. The U.S. Supreme Court does have that power, and appears to have a majority of clueless wonders that are about to do just that. Depending on what poll you look at, anywhere from half the country to three-quarters support the right of a woman to control what happens to her body (i.e. get an abortion), yet it looks very much like that long-held civil right will be taken away by what, I view, is absolute cluelessness of the world we live in, and with five of those justices being white, it really is impossible to not proclaim it white privilege after hearing their comments