Skip to main content

Exploration of Riches


After completing a new degree this past spring, I’ve ended up taking a bit of a break before beginning a new job. While my husband keeps telling me that MoviePass isn’t sustainable (and he’s probably correct), it has been a great boon to me with this extra free time, seeing movies I might not have seen otherwise. One such film I saw this week was Crazy Rich Asians, a romantic comedy that I thought I might have become too old to fully enjoy, but enjoy it I did.
I’m not Asian, nor did I feel I had anything in common with the characters, but the film (and the previous bestselling book) showed that a good story, with interesting and entertaining characters, could cross the cultural divide. If I’d seen this film as a teenager, I would have fallen for the handsome wealthy main character and his family’s lifestyle (and that incredible emerald engagement ring). His willingness to walk away from his family for the woman he loves adds to that fairy tale element that Hollywood films love to employ. What’s not to like about that scenario, especially with the less-than-noble wealthy elite we see in the White House and surrounding them?
I don’t want to denigrate the film, as it was an enjoyable rom-com on the surface, with interesting class and nationality divisions. However, for me, the films brought up issues that I still have problems with, and that have nothing to do with its story.
I was born not crazy rich in Singapore, but moderately poor in Tampa, Florida. I say moderate, as all things are relative. I know there are and were people worse off than us – we always had food to eat, running water, and I don’t remember our power going out from lack of payment, but do remember the TV disappearing at one time when I was young and, as I got older, the constant reverberation that we didn’t have much money. College was never talked about, with only an older sister going to a community college after a failed marriage. My mother had been adopted into a very dysfunction affluent family when she was young, which colored her views on money, causing her to cling to our poverty as if it was something to strive for rather than fear.
So much of my childhood memories are either fuzzy or nonexistent, but I do clearly remember not realizing we were poor for quite a while. With kids you take for granted your situation. It wasn’t until I started school that I began to slowly understand we were “different.” Not surprisingly, my anxiety issues started appearing around that same time.
As a teenager I discovered a TV show, probably not meant for me – Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. It opened up a whole other world that I didn’t know existed. After all, this was pre-internet. I’d already grown to envy and covet the cars, clothes, and travels of some of the wealthier kids in my high school that I knew from afar. They were poor compared to what Robin Leach showed week after week. I’m almost too embarrassed to say it, but I actually took notes watching the show, as if it were some sort of tutorial. Of course so much of it was dealing with was the nouveau riche, royalty, or the .01%, so it didn’t always provide a full and encompassing knowledge of schools and brands. Those nuances and niches I would have to learn much later, and the hard way. I still remember the look a trustee gave me early on in my career as a non-profit fundraiser when I showed myself ignorant about Williams College.
I don’t want to indulge in a daytime talk show moment, but if things had been different in my family, I might not have lost myself so much in my worship of the rich at a young age. I didn’t see anything honorable about my family’s poverty, nor did I feel it gave me any kind of moral compass. That also took a while to develop.
Being shy and dreamy, without the grades to get into an Ivy League or close-to-it school, I ended up in a private liberal arts school a thousand miles away. I also didn’t have the discipline at that time to make it in business or law, nor the looks and tolerance to gain that wealthy prince, so I ended up for a longtime in a profession that was coupled with the wealthy – non-profit fundraising. This gave me a front row seat to a social class that I’d put on a pedestal for so long, and, as is often the case in this situation, I ended up being deeply disappointed by them and my profession. A recent New Yorker article focuses on the less than noble ways some donations end up being used.
It took me awhile to register my disenchantment, and like other borderline hangers-on, I ended up accruing a fair bit of debt trying to emulate them (thankfully much less than Paul Manafort). Many more years and other crises, both personally and in the broader world, were needed for me to finally comprehend that there are some awful rich people and some awful poor people, but that neither class as a whole deserves to be held up as a model. That may seem like a cop out, but it’s true. I won’t say that money doesn’t matter, because it does. I’ve experienced not being able to afford to go to a doctor when ill and the stress that dilemmas like that cause for an individual. But I also see, even in my daily life, the complete lack of awareness many wealthy (and some not wealthy) have of people around them. It’s not just Trump and the oligarchs who lack this consciousness of the struggles of so many people these days and how it may not be their fault they’re in the situation they’re in.
We all get stuck in our own bubble of existence and start to forget that $6.00 gluten free bread is beyond a luxury to a great deal of people in this country. I don’t know what the answer is, although staying out of malls and turning off “reality” TV shows is a start. It’s hard to know whom to blame – TV, Facebook, etc. In the end we each need to find a way to understand each other, without either glorification or demonization, as painful as that may be.

Popular posts from this blog

Birds of a Feather

                                                                                                              Photo courtesy of the author                We have a robin problem, or rather a paranoid robin problem. For some reason the previous owners of our home placed small speakers on either side of the detached garage. If you saw how close the homes are in our neighborhood, you’d wonder if they hated their neighbors. While we never used the stereo system, we didn’t bother to remove the speakers either. About a month ago, a robin began making nests on top of each speaker. They’re slightly taller than I am, and, coupled with the end of the semester, I managed to not notice them. My husband spotted them, pointed them out to me, and stated he hoped the robin wasn’t planning on having her chicks here. I told him I wasn’t planning on moving the nests. We didn’t use the speakers anyway, and I didn’t want to piss off the bird. She did in fact lay her eggs, an

You Broke It; Now Fix It

  It seems like no matter what I search for (sweaters, shoes, kitchen items), I begin feeling like I’m being stalked later on by those products, while looking at other websites. After browsing sweaters on Talbots’ site, I suddenly see the same sweaters appear on the side of a Washington Post article about impeachment. I keep wishing some clever coder could come up with an algorithm to stalk members of the GOP with non-stop videos of “real people” suffering due to these politicians’ inaction and stupidity. My hope is that seeing what has happened to citizens in this country, through no fault of their own, would somehow open the eyes of these politicians, and shame them into doing something to help them. Our country is so utterly broken, and I feel accountability should force these politicians to have to fix what they broke. Of course, I know that is unlikely to happen. Right now Mitch McConnell thinks Biden’s economic recovery plan “missed the mark,” while Mitt

Clueless White Privilege

I should state up front that I am a white woman, and compared to many in this country I would be considered privileged. There have certainly been times in my life that I didn’t fully grasp that and said and did things that make me cringe now, wondering how I could have been so unaware, but I never had the power mixed with that cluelessness to affect the lives of so many people in such drastic ways. The U.S. Supreme Court does have that power, and appears to have a majority of clueless wonders that are about to do just that. Depending on what poll you look at, anywhere from half the country to three-quarters support the right of a woman to control what happens to her body (i.e. get an abortion), yet it looks very much like that long-held civil right will be taken away by what, I view, is absolute cluelessness of the world we live in, and with five of those justices being white, it really is impossible to not proclaim it white privilege after hearing their comments