Skip to main content

Implosion


I’ve had a bad few weeks of late. I took a much needed break after going back to school these last three years, but had assumed I would have found at least some freelance work by now. No such luck, but then I’ve never been great at networking or selling myself. I thought I found the perfect part-time job, but they thought otherwise. Lately I’ve only been seeing jobs I either don’t want or couldn’t even begin to deal with (reading a job ad that says the company is looking for “a rock star” makes my head hurt).
The depression of the summer ending without me having really done anything hit hard near Labor Day. That was when I took a very stupid and nasty tumble on a stone courtyard. Luckily nothing broke, but my knees are still sore and bruised and my left ankle almost twisted, and it has not quite unwound yet.
Then to add insult to injury (quite literally) – the Kavanaugh hearings began. I’ve already been dreading every day since Trump/Pence took office, wondering if this would be the day my rights (and other women’s rights) would start to be whittled away. Men haven’t experienced this, ever. If Kavanaugh is appointed to the Court, then doom really will be coming sooner than later.
It’s this mindset and physicality that brought me to my implosion this week. I bring up the earlier issues because it’s never just one thing that sets you off, but a whole host of them.
I was trying to do a conversion with my retirement account. Last year we started this process, but due to being obscenely late in the year trying to do this, and me being out of town, I could only skim the very lengthy documents on my cell phone before crossing my fingers and signing. It all went okay and I do trust my long-time advisor, but trust has limits, especially in the times we are living in. I didn’t want to go through that situation again, so began the process earlier.
At first I thought his assistant had just gotten things confused, as amongst all the insane legalese in a combined 68-page document it appeared to be a plan for my husband rather than me. It said it was presented to him, not me. Only his account that he just last year moved over from another firm was showing. The new converted accounted just gave the lump total, not the lower amount that needed to be moved this year to combine with last year’s funds. The document also had my husband’s investor profile, not mine.
I let the assistant know, sending screen shots, but there still seemed to be confusion on her part (or so I thought). I suggested to the advisor that perhaps I should come in to the office instead of dealing with emails, thinking any errors could be fixed then and there. He agreed, but what came across from two texts just as I was entering the showing of the film The Bookshop was that this really wasn’t an “error.”
Even though I’ve been a client longer and have a larger account than my husband, his recent account was deemed an Advisory Account (I still have not received an explanation for this), which gives it status that usurps mine. The excuse given was that their computer system only allows one name/profile for paperwork, and my husband’s account Trumps mine (pun angrily intended).
Basically I was told it was fine to sign these documents even though they’re not really correct, and I guess once again hope for the best. As I let this sink in as I watched the movie, I couldn’t quite figure out if my rising anger was for the injustice toward the heroine of the film or for the injustice for my own minor situation. While my life is by no means Crazy Rich Asian-like, I do know other people are experiencing far greater troubles. But that doesn’t mean that insane patriarchal systems should get away with this crap.
By the time I got home, I was feeling numb, even wondering if I’d caught whatever virus had caused my husband to be home sick the last two days. After trying to distract myself, I realized I either needed to scream or go to bed, so bed it was.
Guess what? I didn’t sign the documents. The next morning I let the advisor know exactly how upset I was and why. His assistant sent a new set of documents, this time stating that it was presented to me (which it had been!!!!), but nothing else changed. In fact she still believed that the investor profile was mine. My husband may be very aggressive with his finances; I am not, although I am thinking very aggressive thoughts right now. I even tweeted to the national company yesterday morning. After all, if my Netflix account can have multiple profiles why can’t this large financial firm offer them?
I think only women will understand this blog post. Men can easily claim that paper work doesn’t matter or that no one looks at it. Women know that’s not true. I’ve seen people get stuck on wrong career trajectories because they accepted a lower-level job title. Once you’re earmarked as one thing, it’s hard to get people to look at you differently. Believe me, I know.
Words matter. Contracts matter, and especially incorrectly worded ones due to a faulty patriarchal financial services company’s limit to household profiles (I'm not buying that this has nothing to do with gender).
If I would have known I’d be, in essence, made to feel erased by having my husband bring a past IRA over to the financial services firm I use, I would have never recommended it. I won’t make that mistake again.
I’m not sure how this will play out. I felt so depleted after my emails and tweet that I couldn’t be bothered to check my emails or texts again yesterday. I tried doing yoga, but with the sore knees and ankle it didn’t go so well. Instead I ended up listening to podcasts and attempting to eat my weight in roasted garlic potatoes.
I hope my financial advisor is able to get things properly adjusted, so that I’ll be able to sign correct documents instead of beginning a search for a new investment firm.
Ladies – be diligent. Don’t believe men, even those you trust. Verify, verify, verify. It’s a dangerous world we live in, and getting worse every day. If we don’t stand up for ourselves, no matter how hysterical men paint us, no one else will. And then it won’t matter.

Popular posts from this blog

Birds of a Feather

                                                                                                              Photo courtesy of the author                We have a robin problem, or rather a paranoid robin problem. For some reason the previous owners of our home placed small speakers on either side of the detached garage. If you saw how close the homes are in our neighborhood, you’d wonder if they hated their neighbors. While we never used the stereo system, we didn’t bother to remove the speakers either. About a month ago, a robin began making nests on top of each speaker. They’re slightly taller than I am, and, coupled with the end of the semester, I managed to not notice them. My husband spotted them, pointed them out to me, and stated he hoped the robin wasn’t planning on having her chicks here. I told him I wasn’t planning on moving the nests. We didn’t use the speakers anyway, and I didn’t want to piss off the bird. She did in fact lay her eggs, an

You Broke It; Now Fix It

  It seems like no matter what I search for (sweaters, shoes, kitchen items), I begin feeling like I’m being stalked later on by those products, while looking at other websites. After browsing sweaters on Talbots’ site, I suddenly see the same sweaters appear on the side of a Washington Post article about impeachment. I keep wishing some clever coder could come up with an algorithm to stalk members of the GOP with non-stop videos of “real people” suffering due to these politicians’ inaction and stupidity. My hope is that seeing what has happened to citizens in this country, through no fault of their own, would somehow open the eyes of these politicians, and shame them into doing something to help them. Our country is so utterly broken, and I feel accountability should force these politicians to have to fix what they broke. Of course, I know that is unlikely to happen. Right now Mitch McConnell thinks Biden’s economic recovery plan “missed the mark,” while Mitt

Clueless White Privilege

I should state up front that I am a white woman, and compared to many in this country I would be considered privileged. There have certainly been times in my life that I didn’t fully grasp that and said and did things that make me cringe now, wondering how I could have been so unaware, but I never had the power mixed with that cluelessness to affect the lives of so many people in such drastic ways. The U.S. Supreme Court does have that power, and appears to have a majority of clueless wonders that are about to do just that. Depending on what poll you look at, anywhere from half the country to three-quarters support the right of a woman to control what happens to her body (i.e. get an abortion), yet it looks very much like that long-held civil right will be taken away by what, I view, is absolute cluelessness of the world we live in, and with five of those justices being white, it really is impossible to not proclaim it white privilege after hearing their comments