Skip to main content

Cinderella Stories


This time of year the film awards talk begins, as well as anticipation for the remaining contenders to be released. This is usually a time when I feel out of step with society. Perhaps not every year, but most, I feel another film captivated me more than the film that wins all the trophies. A Star is Born has certainly been set up as the film to win all, and, once again, I’m not excited about it.
 I don’t want to dismiss the film, as I think the acting, the chemistry between the actors, and the directing were all top notch; it’s the story that just didn’t do it for me. It could also be the timing.
It’s not only the twenty-first century, but also the height of #me too and post-Kavanaugh hearing. Is an updated Cinderella story really what we need right now?
Lady Gaga’s character is magically seen and heard by this great man/prince and plucked out of obscurity, making her dreams come true (at least for a little while). It’s obviously messier and more dramatic than the Disney fairy tale, but it shows a woman who can’t make her dreams happen until a man decides she’s special.
Not surprising, I was pissed off by the film, especially with what the woman has to go through with a drug addicted/alcoholic man who tries to, after giving her this career, take it all away. I was mystified by a woman seated a few seats down from me in the theatre, and around my age, sniffing and sobbing at the end of the film. For me the film went downhill after Lady Gaga joined Bradley Cooper’s tour, and I was relieved to have his character out of her character’s life. The way he’d be removed seemed more than obvious for this kind of character.
I know, it sounds mean, and I don’t want to be that way, but I suppose we’re all a product of our life experience. I was an unplanned mid-life child with siblings who were teenagers when I was born. When I was at a critical young age I witnessed an older sister in a short-lived marriage to a man who became addicted to drugs. I didn’t understand everything then, but it cemented in me more than any Scared Straight video to steer clear of drugs and people who take them, and I have done both.
The fact that there were two popular Cinderella stories this year both baffles and unnerves me. Crazy Rich Asians also fits this fairy tale mold, in some ways easier than A Star is Born, as there actually is a real prince in the film. The Cinderella in this film has degrees and a career, but she seems willing to jettison it all to get her prince. I’m sure my younger self, sadly, would have gotten this film, but the current me was constantly hoping Awkwafina would appear for another scene, helping me laugh and endure this modern fairy tale that I have no interest in being a part of.
Mostly I just have to question the relevance of either film. Clearly I’m in the minority (what a surprise) when you look at ticket sales, but I do wonder if their appeal will last the entire award season.
I don’t think the creators of either film are misogynists, but, with both being male, it does lend to a more masculine gaze on story. This is why we really need more women writing, directing, shooting, and producing films in order to give a more balanced product at the box office. That would be a fairy tale for me to get excited about.

Popular posts from this blog

Birds of a Feather

                                                                                                              Photo courtesy of the author                We have a robin problem, or rather a paranoid robin problem. For some reason the previous owners of our home placed small speakers on either side of the detached garage. If you saw how close the homes are in our neighborhood, you’d wonder if they hated their neighbors. While we never used the stereo system, we didn’t bother to remove the speakers either. About a month ago, a robin began making nests on top of each speaker. They’re slightly taller than I am, and, coupled with the end of the semester, I managed to not notice them. My husband spotted them, pointed them out to me, and stated he hoped the robin wasn’t planning on having her chicks here. I told him I wasn’t planning on moving the nests. We didn’t use the speakers anyway, and I didn’t want to piss off the bird. She did in fact lay her eggs, an

You Broke It; Now Fix It

  It seems like no matter what I search for (sweaters, shoes, kitchen items), I begin feeling like I’m being stalked later on by those products, while looking at other websites. After browsing sweaters on Talbots’ site, I suddenly see the same sweaters appear on the side of a Washington Post article about impeachment. I keep wishing some clever coder could come up with an algorithm to stalk members of the GOP with non-stop videos of “real people” suffering due to these politicians’ inaction and stupidity. My hope is that seeing what has happened to citizens in this country, through no fault of their own, would somehow open the eyes of these politicians, and shame them into doing something to help them. Our country is so utterly broken, and I feel accountability should force these politicians to have to fix what they broke. Of course, I know that is unlikely to happen. Right now Mitch McConnell thinks Biden’s economic recovery plan “missed the mark,” while Mitt

Seeing/Not Seeing

Like many of us, I haven’t been very productive lately. I tried signing up for Coursera classes, which have been a mixed bag, but also haven’t spurred me on to do anything. Creative Mornings is now offering Zoom fieldtrips, but I’m beginning to feel meditated out. I finally managed to finish reading a book, but Emily St. John Mandel’s apocalyptic story, Station Eleven , may not have been the best choice right now. Granted the book didn’t become a Hollywood disaster/zombie film (thankfully no zombies in the book or in real life yet), but it added to my melancholy. I tried to convince myself that reading about the worst/or quasi-worst outcome (99% of the population dies due to the swine flu in the book, and within 48 hours of developing symptoms) would make what we’re dealing with easier somehow. Instead, I keep thinking we may end up like that outcome thanks to our incompetent and impatient government. I’m still spending too much time on Facebook posting anti-Trump articles to