Skip to main content

Holiday Traditions


Holidays are tricky for me. They tend to bring back a great deal of unpleasantness growing up in a dysfunctional household. My mother longed for the Norman Rockwell scene of a happy family around a table, yet she never got that, or at least not during my time growing up in that household. My father would find any place else to be, and she’d then sulk. Maybe that’s why spending the holidays alone never bothered me. You get to watch what you want and no harassing questions about your life.
Married life changed that to a certain extent, with us visiting my in-laws during Christmas time until a combination of weather concerns and consistent and overwhelming work obligations for my husband made that too challenging. The last three years we’ve spent alone at home (with our cat), doing little of what’s expected of people at the holidays.
I’m always fascinated when people tell me what they and their families do for the holidays, and am thankful that I’m married to a vegetarian who will never expect me to master either a turkey or a ham for dinner. After a very slow moving Thanksgiving where my husband mostly recuperated and I watched an old Michael Powell-Emeric Pressburger film (The Small Back Room), I managed to get a salad, potato dish, and corn muffins made, but that was it, before succumbing to a disappointing viewing of The Way We Were. Much like many other films that I enjoyed years ago, I’m finding a different experience watching them now. As a young woman, this film had seemed so romantic. Redford of course was yummy, but it was anything but romantic to me now.
I tried to be more together for Christmas Eve, making roast potatoes and green beans, getting cheeses, and heating up a pre-baked gluten free apple pie. Once again we saw a film of my youth, but strangely it held up better – Smokey and the Bandit. Yes, that is indeed what we watched on Christmas Eve. I noticed after Burt Reynolds died that the film was added to the streaming service, so I put it on our watch list. My husband had surprisingly never seen it; I’d only seen it edited for TV, but the ridiculous chase scenes along with budding feminism and sexual innuendos, was just the right level of lightness without the sappy holiday film sentimentalism. Plus, I just couldn’t deal with watching what used to be some of my most loved holiday movies (White Christmas, Holiday Inn, Christmas in Connecticut). I don’t know if my tastes are changing or it’s just the times we’re living in, but typical holiday fare just didn’t seem right to me.
I still keep thinking we need to create some sort of holiday traditions of our own that will last a while. I’m not sure Burt Reynolds films will fit the bill each time, but perhaps something else will click.

Popular posts from this blog

Birds of a Feather

                                                                                                              Photo courtesy of the author                We have a robin problem, or rather a paranoid robin problem. For some reason the previous owners of our home placed small speakers on either side of the detached garage. If you saw how close the homes are in our neighborhood, you’d wonder if they hated their neighbors. While we never used the stereo system, we didn’t bother to remove the speakers either. About a month ago, a robin began making nests on top of each speaker. They’re slightly taller than I am, and, coupled with the end of the semester, I managed to not notice them. My husband spotted them, pointed them out to me, and stated he hoped the robin wasn’t planning on having her chicks here. I told him I wasn’t planning on moving the nests. We didn’t use the speakers anyway, and I didn’t want to piss off the bird. She did in fact lay her eggs, an

You Broke It; Now Fix It

  It seems like no matter what I search for (sweaters, shoes, kitchen items), I begin feeling like I’m being stalked later on by those products, while looking at other websites. After browsing sweaters on Talbots’ site, I suddenly see the same sweaters appear on the side of a Washington Post article about impeachment. I keep wishing some clever coder could come up with an algorithm to stalk members of the GOP with non-stop videos of “real people” suffering due to these politicians’ inaction and stupidity. My hope is that seeing what has happened to citizens in this country, through no fault of their own, would somehow open the eyes of these politicians, and shame them into doing something to help them. Our country is so utterly broken, and I feel accountability should force these politicians to have to fix what they broke. Of course, I know that is unlikely to happen. Right now Mitch McConnell thinks Biden’s economic recovery plan “missed the mark,” while Mitt

Seeing/Not Seeing

Like many of us, I haven’t been very productive lately. I tried signing up for Coursera classes, which have been a mixed bag, but also haven’t spurred me on to do anything. Creative Mornings is now offering Zoom fieldtrips, but I’m beginning to feel meditated out. I finally managed to finish reading a book, but Emily St. John Mandel’s apocalyptic story, Station Eleven , may not have been the best choice right now. Granted the book didn’t become a Hollywood disaster/zombie film (thankfully no zombies in the book or in real life yet), but it added to my melancholy. I tried to convince myself that reading about the worst/or quasi-worst outcome (99% of the population dies due to the swine flu in the book, and within 48 hours of developing symptoms) would make what we’re dealing with easier somehow. Instead, I keep thinking we may end up like that outcome thanks to our incompetent and impatient government. I’m still spending too much time on Facebook posting anti-Trump articles to