Skip to main content

Uncomfortable in My Skin


I’ve always had allergies and fairly sensitive skin, including occasional rashes and hives, but for the most part (except during my teenage years) my skin has been fair, clear, and smooth. When I look back at my diet and other habits over the years, I know I didn’t always deserve that clearness and smoothness, which probably made me very unprepared for what has happened – Rosacea.
Over the last several years I’d noticed some flushing in my cheeks, along with some exposed capillaries on one side. I kept putting off for a long time seeing a dermatologist. These symptoms went away early last year when I was being treated for a GI disorder that required antibiotics, but then slowly came back as the medication left my system.
Finally, late last year I made an appointment with the dermatologist. Before the appointment, I’d developed what I thought was an allergic reaction that caused a rash around my eyes, which I didn’t bring up, and he didn’t note. I did mention the cheeks, which he said was rosacea, and prescribed a cream. The cream helped slightly, but the rash around my eyes got worse and made me wonder if that was also due to the rosacea. I ended up spending most of November at the eye doctor, as the red spots around my eyes were, according to the doctor, also on my eyes.
There was some improvement, but then it worsened after Thanksgiving, making me go back to the dermatologist who diagnosed it as perioral dermatitis. He said he typical saw it in fall and winter, and was usually due to cold windy weather. It seemed to make sense, as I’d developed a walking/jogging program last year, finishing several 5K races and a 10K, and was trying to still do one long walk a week even with the cold weather (I guess that cold Thanksgiving 10K was not the best idea). The doctor recommended limiting my exposure, which was disappointing, and prescribed an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory cream.
I moved my cardio back to the gym, and (gulp) added a few days a week of mall walking. My crazy mind briefly thought of trying a ski mask, but then I thought I’d probably get confused for a criminal, so tossed that aside. There was some slight improvement, but then I developed a reaction to the antibiotic and had to get a steroid shot at urgent care. Due to my other allergies to antibiotics, there was nothing else he could prescribe; telling me it will just take longer.
For a while there was still more improvement even without the medication, making me think it was environmentally caused, but then it started creeping back, and then came the true horror – rosacea acne. Nothing can prepare you for this. There were a few white heads that popped up, which I wondered if it could be the skin cleanser the doctor recommended I switch to. I went back to my old cleanser, but no change. Then came the explosion. These pimples are hard, making my chin feel like I was wearing a plastic prosthetic.
Needless to say I became depressed and distraught, lessening my exposure to others. The makeup covered some of it, but it still showed something was going on. My dental office thought I’d broken out into hives.
I’d been working with a dietician, as many of the books I checked out of the library mentioned a GI connection with this inflammatory disease, and I suspected that what I was treated for last year might still be affecting my body. I added various supplements and probiotics, in a not very slow and steady way, before the acne explosion occurred, making me wonder if these additions were the cause. After removing them for a week, there isn’t a real improvement, so it’s obviously something else. I tried various home remedies I read about on the web, to no help. Finally I moved up my dermatologist follow up to the middle of last week.
My doctor was ill, so I saw another physician. She was a good listener, but it was clear that due to my allergies she was limited as to what she could offer. She even told me that stress plays a role, which made me want to laugh at her, since how could a 50-year-old woman who’s face looks like the caricature of the worst acne laden teenager not be stressed? I’d been frustrated not being able to get work after going back to school late in life, assuming it was due to my age and sex (I still think that, and my lack of networking skills), but obviously looking like a teenager would not help my situation.
Ultimately the physician prescribed an acid treatment that’s supposed to help with acne, and then remembered a brand new topical antibiotic treatment that she wouldn’t feel comfortable giving me orally, but was willing to take a chance topically. I was equally willing, begging for drugs, which if I was in a sane state of mind I would never do.
Then came the frustration of actually acquiring both medications. She wanted to send the scripts to a specialty dermatology pharmacy, which had told me last year when the other dermatologist had sent the initial cream there, that I was out of network, and they’d have to send the prescription to another pharmacy. This made no sense to her, but she sent it to my usual pharmacy, telling me to call if the co-pay was high. The co-pay for the acid was exorbitant, and the antibiotic was not covered by my insurance, as it was so new to the market. The pharmacist found a coupon making it just expensive, but his distributor claimed it wasn’t available and had no date for when it would be made available.
I called the dermatologists office and left the message of what was going on. I then received a call later from the physician’s rude assistant saying “told you so.” She then said she’d call in the prescriptions to the specialty pharmacy, who’s pharmacist said once again that I was out of network and they’d have to transfer my prescriptions. Told you so, indeed.
Anyway, I talked them through the situation, and they were able to get me the acid for $100 less than my pharmacy, even without insurance, bringing it down to just expensive, but they couldn’t sell me the antibiotic, even though my insurance wouldn’t cover it and they were the only place in town that actually had the stuff in stock. Apparently to get the coupon to activate, you have to go through the patient’s insurance first; if the insurance declines it, that’s when you can apply the coupon. Since I was out of network, he said he couldn’t run my insurance. When I called my pharmacy back to let then know what was going on, it was what at the time seemed like a miracle – the topical antibiotic became available. He snatched it, applied the coupon, and it arrived Thursday.
I picked up both topical medications early Thursday and began using – the antibiotic in the morning after washing my face and then the acid in the evening after washing my face. I was a bit taken aback by the antibiotic ointment, which was a bright yellow foam with all kinds of warning about how flammable it was (you can’t even smoke after it’s been applied; I don’t smoke, but still, that’s a bit scary). I noticed some itchiness, but it was tolerable. I did the acid that evening and when I woke up Friday my skin looked slightly sunburned. If I would have been in a reasonable state of mind I would have stopped treatment, but that’s not where I was. I continued on Friday, emailing the office about the burn, but not getting a response back. The itchiness continued off an on, but was still tolerable. When I woke up Saturday morning, my eye lids were droopy, which they aren’t normally, the right side of my face felt numb (I don’t sleep on my right side), and it looked like I’d had the worst sunburn of my life without going to the beach.
It seemed clear that the acid was a bad idea, but I still thought the antibiotic might be okay, so applied, what would be the last dose of it. The itchiness by early evening had become what looked like hives, so I took Benadryl, washed my face, and applied the anti-inflammatory cream I still had left. Before going to bed I changed my pillowcase, hoping to wake up and have it better. Instead, my eyes were completely swelled shut and the inflammation and burning in my face was intolerable. Nothing helped. Urgent care here we come.
I was hoping that on Super Bowl Sunday that people would be at home preparing for the game, but instead everyone in town was sick. The nurses and physician assistants were all wearing masks like they were expecting everyone in the Westside to be carrying the plague. Ultimately I received my second steroid shot in two months for an extreme allergic reaction and was told not to continue with any of the topical stuff. The dermatologist agreed with that today.
It’s clear I need to find another path, as the medical one has never really worked well for my body. Sadly the dermatologist said some people never find their trigger, yet if I can’t take the medications then I really need to. I can’t keep going to urgent care and getting steroids, nor do I want to become a complete shut-in, even though I do prefer being home than anywhere else. I’m looking at other options, wondering how many more foods/drinks to exclude, and trying to keep my anxiety level down, which is even harder with what’s going on in this country right now. In some ways it seems an appropriate thing to have happen to me during the Trump administration (or the Trump dictatorship, as it appears to be at the moment). Who isn’t inflamed right now? I guess I need to try to go against the tide with this movement.

Popular posts from this blog

Birds of a Feather

                                                                                                              Photo courtesy of the author                We have a robin problem, or rather a paranoid robin problem. For some reason the previous owners of our home placed small speakers on either side of the detached garage. If you saw how close the homes are in our neighborhood, you’d wonder if they hated their neighbors. While we never used the stereo system, we didn’t bother to remove the speakers either. About a month ago, a robin began making nests on top of each speaker. They’re slightly taller than I am, and, coupled with the end of the semester, I managed to not notice them. My husband spotted them, pointed them out to me, and stated he hoped the robin wasn’t planning on having her chicks here. I told him I wasn’t planning on moving the nests. We didn’t use the speakers anyway, and I didn’t want to piss off the bird. She did in fact lay her eggs, an

You Broke It; Now Fix It

  It seems like no matter what I search for (sweaters, shoes, kitchen items), I begin feeling like I’m being stalked later on by those products, while looking at other websites. After browsing sweaters on Talbots’ site, I suddenly see the same sweaters appear on the side of a Washington Post article about impeachment. I keep wishing some clever coder could come up with an algorithm to stalk members of the GOP with non-stop videos of “real people” suffering due to these politicians’ inaction and stupidity. My hope is that seeing what has happened to citizens in this country, through no fault of their own, would somehow open the eyes of these politicians, and shame them into doing something to help them. Our country is so utterly broken, and I feel accountability should force these politicians to have to fix what they broke. Of course, I know that is unlikely to happen. Right now Mitch McConnell thinks Biden’s economic recovery plan “missed the mark,” while Mitt

Clueless White Privilege

I should state up front that I am a white woman, and compared to many in this country I would be considered privileged. There have certainly been times in my life that I didn’t fully grasp that and said and did things that make me cringe now, wondering how I could have been so unaware, but I never had the power mixed with that cluelessness to affect the lives of so many people in such drastic ways. The U.S. Supreme Court does have that power, and appears to have a majority of clueless wonders that are about to do just that. Depending on what poll you look at, anywhere from half the country to three-quarters support the right of a woman to control what happens to her body (i.e. get an abortion), yet it looks very much like that long-held civil right will be taken away by what, I view, is absolute cluelessness of the world we live in, and with five of those justices being white, it really is impossible to not proclaim it white privilege after hearing their comments