Skip to main content

You Broke It; Now Fix It

 

It seems like no matter what I search for (sweaters, shoes, kitchen items), I begin feeling like I’m being stalked later on by those products, while looking at other websites. After browsing sweaters on Talbots’ site, I suddenly see the same sweaters appear on the side of a Washington Post article about impeachment. I keep wishing some clever coder could come up with an algorithm to stalk members of the GOP with non-stop videos of “real people” suffering due to these politicians’ inaction and stupidity.

My hope is that seeing what has happened to citizens in this country, through no fault of their own, would somehow open the eyes of these politicians, and shame them into doing something to help them. Our country is so utterly broken, and I feel accountability should force these politicians to have to fix what they broke. Of course, I know that is unlikely to happen.

Right now Mitch McConnell thinks Biden’s economic recovery plan “missed the mark,” while Mitt Romney doesn’t believe another stimulus package is needed so soon after giving people a few bucks earlier in the month. I hear this and I want to scream, as they, and many others in their caucus, and even a few Democrats, are so removed from the lives of average Americans. I almost laughed when I heard McConnell calling the insurrectionists “thugs,” when so recently Hillary was scorned for calling these same people “deplorables.” Mitch is fine having this rabid mob vote for Republicans, but he’s not inviting them over for a barbecue, and now he’s going to pretend they don’t exist. Their Party has evolved from being led by Wall Street Journal types to a combination of individuals with white grievance to anti-government/white separatist militias, yet the establishment is still trying hard not to see what is going on.

I think this blindside, to not just the reality of the situation in this country, but to the reality of who the GOP supporters are, is going to eventually destroy the Party, but I think there will be a whole lot of pain, suffering, and violence before the end. You would think that after the insurrection of January 6, that the bulk of the Republicans would turn their backs on Trump and what, and who, he represents. Yet, only a few have spoken out. Romney and Collins are clearly living in their own reality, believing that with Trump off Twitter and out of the White House everything will go back to normal. Just today it was reported that Kevin McCarthy, the House Minority leader, who initially stated on the House floor, that Trump was to blame for the insurrection, now, out of fear of reprisals, is going down to Florida to pacify the mad former dictator-wannabe. Nothing will ever be normal again.

He and other Republicans keep trying to convince themselves that if they bow and scrape and provide the adoration that Trump craves, that he’ll then give them the power they desire. Even after five people died on January 6, including a cop, and with over 100 Capitol Police injured, they still believe that they can control the mob and that we should just put it all out of our minds like a bad dream.

The problem is the cult of Trump is becoming more dangerous. After the two wins in the House, who McCarthy seated even with their violent former statements, and the mobs’ rather easy short-lived takeover of the Capitol, nothing will ever be like it was before. There may be a few insurrectionists who are facing prison sentences, thanks to Trump not pardoning them in the end, that are having second thoughts, but most don’t appear to have changed their mind at all. I don’t know how we get out of this mess, and unfortunately most of the GOP don’t seem to have an interest in getting out due to their hope it will provide them electoral wins in two years, so I guess were stuck waiting for it all to implode around us, and hope our country somehow survives.

Popular posts from this blog

Birds of a Feather

                                                                                                              Photo courtesy of the author                We have a robin problem, or rather a paranoid robin problem. For some reason the previous owners of our home placed small speakers on either side of the detached garage. If you saw how close the homes are in our neighborhood, you’d wonder if they hated their neighbors. While we never used the stereo system, we didn’t bother to remove the speakers either. About a month ago, a robin began making nests on top of each speaker. They’re slightly taller than I am, and, coupled with the end of the semester, I managed to not notice them. My husband spotted them, pointed them out to me, and stated he hoped the robin wasn’t planning on having her chicks here. I told him I wasn’t planning on moving the nests. We didn’t use the speakers anyway, and I didn’t want to piss off the bird. She did in fact lay her eggs, an

Clueless White Privilege

I should state up front that I am a white woman, and compared to many in this country I would be considered privileged. There have certainly been times in my life that I didn’t fully grasp that and said and did things that make me cringe now, wondering how I could have been so unaware, but I never had the power mixed with that cluelessness to affect the lives of so many people in such drastic ways. The U.S. Supreme Court does have that power, and appears to have a majority of clueless wonders that are about to do just that. Depending on what poll you look at, anywhere from half the country to three-quarters support the right of a woman to control what happens to her body (i.e. get an abortion), yet it looks very much like that long-held civil right will be taken away by what, I view, is absolute cluelessness of the world we live in, and with five of those justices being white, it really is impossible to not proclaim it white privilege after hearing their comments