Skip to main content

Impatient

 


A few weeks ago I was standing at the downtown square with lots of other women, holding signs and shouting. One woman had a sign saying that she couldn’t believe she was still having to fight for the right to control her body. I understand that sentiment.

During that day, we rallied and listened to moving speeches, but I left not knowing what to do other than make what donations I could to various organizations helping with the fight. I also left the rally feeling slightly guilty, but fortunate, that I’d never been put in a situation where I either needed an abortion or had to help someone acquire one. When I was an adolescent I remember a neighbor telling my mother that her daughter-in-law was getting an abortion, not seeming to acknowledge that I was present, and maybe this wasn’t something I should be hearing. The woman and her husband had a child already, around my age, and they couldn’t afford another one. Strangely I don’t remember my mother having much to say about the situation, even though she had begun deciding by that time who would be going to hell (both me and my father) for not “giving their life to God.”

Around the same time, one of my older sisters inappropriately nudged me to try and convince one of her friends not to have an abortion. I complied, but had no idea what I was talking about, being a child myself. The woman had the abortion, and I think she and the unborn child are better off for it.

It’s hard not to feel powerless and impatient right now, waiting for the court to throw this country into turmoil like we’ve not seen before. The only winners will certainly be the lawyers.

We’re all going to pay in one way or another, as we begin to move further into our corners, physically and metaphorically. I know I personally don’t want to live in a state where I don’t have a say about what happens to my body. The Divided States of America here we come.

Last month, which seems so long ago, I was also consumed with who the leaker of the draft Supreme Court document was. I have a theory that I still feel is likely, even with my liberal bias, but as I’m not interested in being sued for libel, I’ll keep it to myself. I will say that I think it was an extreme conservative, who doesn’t work at the court, in an attempt to rally John Roberts back to the extreme conservative side on this matter (the scolding Wall Street Journal article is quite telling), or at least hold on to the remaining group via the final leak of the document.

I know some conservatives keep thinking it was a liberal who leaked the document, as the draft was ultimately published in Politico, but I think that may have been to divert attention from some conservatives. Plus, what better way to “own the Libs” then by publishing a document so extreme, yet having us all know that with the imbalance in the courts, that we’re mostly powerless to do anything at the moment. Even if we rise up and vote out every Republican, it took a long time to stack the courts in the conservative favor, and it will take time to undo it. I'm not sure any of us have this kind of patience. But please vote, no matter what else you do or don’t do this year.

Of course, a few weeks after the rally, and several more mass shootings, attention is now focused onto another issue that many of us still can’t believe we have to fight about, and are losing patience for. I really can’t understand why anyone would need or want to own an assault weapon, other than to kill a lot of people very quickly, and without much requisite for good aim. Yet many people in this country seem to have forgotten that the second amendment was written not for them to have military grade weapons so they can pretend they’re whatever action hero gets them excited, but rather when men had muskets (that had to be reloaded after each bullet was fired), and that there was a need for individuals to be in organized militia as we didn’t have 911 to call to come to our aide.

It was obvious to me that when Republicans refused to agree to any type of gun safety measure after Sandy Hook that nothing would change their minds. It appears more and more dead children haven’t made any difference.

While I’m not usually driven to paranoia, the two issues seem to have strangely combined in my mind, making me wonder if Republicans are trying to enforce pregnancies on women in order to offset the lives lost in all these never ending mass shootings. It sounds crazy, I know, but we are living in crazy times. Maybe some of these politicians actually think we really are living in the Matrix and that it doesn’t matter if someone dies so long as a replacement is found. I suppose that’s another version of replacement theory to be outraged by.

All of the madness just adds to my Summer of Rage. I know raging won’t help with any of this, but I don’t know how else to manage. The only other option is to become numb, which also isn’t helpful, but seems impossible to not subside into after hearing about more and more horrors we keep churning up for ourselves. If this is the Matrix, then I’d really like to be unplugged right about now.

That also seems unlikely. What seems the most likely outcome is that more women will suffer and die thanks to horrible policies that extremist politicians put in place. Those same politicians will also refuse to end this carnage of gun violence playing out every day, non-stop.I, like many, will alternate between raging and numbness.

The question is will any of us have the patience to survive the world we’re living in, or will we be impatient to just have it all over with one way or another.

Popular posts from this blog

You Broke It; Now Fix It

  It seems like no matter what I search for (sweaters, shoes, kitchen items), I begin feeling like I’m being stalked later on by those products, while looking at other websites. After browsing sweaters on Talbots’ site, I suddenly see the same sweaters appear on the side of a Washington Post article about impeachment. I keep wishing some clever coder could come up with an algorithm to stalk members of the GOP with non-stop videos of “real people” suffering due to these politicians’ inaction and stupidity. My hope is that seeing what has happened to citizens in this country, through no fault of their own, would somehow open the eyes of these politicians, and shame them into doing something to help them. Our country is so utterly broken, and I feel accountability should force these politicians to have to fix what they broke. Of course, I know that is unlikely to happen. Right now Mitch McConnell thinks Biden’s economic recovery plan “missed the mark,” while Mitt

Birds of a Feather

                                                                                                              Photo courtesy of the author                We have a robin problem, or rather a paranoid robin problem. For some reason the previous owners of our home placed small speakers on either side of the detached garage. If you saw how close the homes are in our neighborhood, you’d wonder if they hated their neighbors. While we never used the stereo system, we didn’t bother to remove the speakers either. About a month ago, a robin began making nests on top of each speaker. They’re slightly taller than I am, and, coupled with the end of the semester, I managed to not notice them. My husband spotted them, pointed them out to me, and stated he hoped the robin wasn’t planning on having her chicks here. I told him I wasn’t planning on moving the nests. We didn’t use the speakers anyway, and I didn’t want to piss off the bird. She did in fact lay her eggs, an

Clueless White Privilege

I should state up front that I am a white woman, and compared to many in this country I would be considered privileged. There have certainly been times in my life that I didn’t fully grasp that and said and did things that make me cringe now, wondering how I could have been so unaware, but I never had the power mixed with that cluelessness to affect the lives of so many people in such drastic ways. The U.S. Supreme Court does have that power, and appears to have a majority of clueless wonders that are about to do just that. Depending on what poll you look at, anywhere from half the country to three-quarters support the right of a woman to control what happens to her body (i.e. get an abortion), yet it looks very much like that long-held civil right will be taken away by what, I view, is absolute cluelessness of the world we live in, and with five of those justices being white, it really is impossible to not proclaim it white privilege after hearing their comments